Sunday, May 25, 2014

I am now a bee landlord...

I don't think I will be using the term "beekeeper" because I will really not be taking much care of them.  All I will do is provide good and safe home for them as best as I can, and perhaps give them some water and food if they really need it.  They are free to go about their business as they see fit.  In return of course, I will be charging them yearly rental fee in the form of honey, pollen, wax, and propolis.

My friends and I went to UP Los Baños this morning to pickup the stingless bees I ordered.  I decided to setup the hive on our roof top near the Banaba Tree.  I believe the humidity is much better there.  Also, it is already rainy season, it will save me the trouble of later relocating them when we get hit by a waste high flood again.

 














I did not finish the table I am building, so I just used this old chair.  I smeared some grease to prevent ants from climbing.  I noticed some fallen bees were immediately attacked by ants.




















I can not remove the rest of the plastic sack that we used to transport them because the bees have already glued it to the side with propolis.  The bees get really annoyed when I tried to remove it.























The bee entrance... can you see any bees?

No comments:

Post a Comment