Friday, May 23, 2014

Box Pile Hive Update

I found this box pile hive design while searching for some info on Apis cerana.  This is from a Japanese beekeeper.  I think this hive design is based from their traditional vertical log hive but provided a way of harvesting honey without destroying the whole colony.

Below is the link to the video.  The channel also provides instructional videos on how to make the hive and how to harvest honey.

Structure of traditional bee hive of Japanese honeybee


I believe this is how I should start with beekeeping.  Technically, you will just provide a home for the bees and collect yearly rent in the form of honey, pollen, and wax.  Not exactly sure if this design will work for the Apis cerana here in the Philippines, but I am hoping it will.

So, I finally finished the main parts of the box pile hive.














The Bottom Board, a place for the bees to land and take off:


















The Hive Entrance:


















The Supers:  This is where the honeybees build their combs.  I actually need to build 3 or 4 more of this, and they will be stacked on top of the other like a conventional bee hive.  I am also suppose to put some wire support inside to prevent the combs from falling off, but I am still searching for alternative materials.  I do not feel comfortable using GI wire... I am thinking maybe bamboo sticks will do.


















The Grid Plate:  This is where the bees will start to form the comb.  This is equivalent to the bars on the Top Bar Hive design, but here the grid plate is fixed so you can not move the combs around as you would do in a Langstroth or Top Bar hive.  The grid plate is put on the top most supers.


















The Top Cover, to seal the hive.


















And finally, the Roof, to keep the elements out.


















Right now I am working on some angle bars to build a frame where I will put the hive to keep it off ground.

2 comments:

  1. This is amazing. I'm looking to do this too. Thank you for being about it!

    ReplyDelete