Sunday, April 27, 2014

Building a Box Pile Hive...

I am building a box pile hive for Apis cerana... I should have bought planed lumber!

Lesson #1:  Before making any cuts, make sure the lumber board is planed and squared!

Skewed board + poor carpentry skill = lots of hand planing, and I don't know how to use a hand plane!
I made a simple hand plane jig... it helped a lot together with some giant clamps!  2 down, 2 more to go.





Finished the Top Grid that will be used by the bees to build their honeycomb (well, hopefully)... I made this first, so I am sure I am going to make some adjustments to fit the box.










This is how it will be assembled.  But I must make 2 more boxes and some additional parts like the entrance, top cover, roof, and bottom board.  These hive will not use any hive frames.

1 comment:

  1. Hello, can you provide an update on the pile hive? You're the only person I've been able to find who actually made one (modeled after the Japanese Youtube videos). Let me know how it all is going. eag22554(at)gmail.com

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete