Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Hive Duplication 3rd Attempt... FAILED!!!


I am sad to say that my third attempt at hive duplication again ended in failure.  I can only think of two reasons why: (a) the foreign propolis I put in the duplication hive, and (b) I kept on opening the lid of the duplication hive to see what is going on.  Personally, my bet is the former.  When I put the propolis, there was a change in behavior of the bees.  They began building structure on the plastic tube.  At first, I thought it was good, that they may be annexing the duplication hive.  I was so wrong.


8/17/2014... bees began adding propolis on the tube near
the hive entrance.















8/18/2014... propolis continue to buildup.














8/19/2014... the structure soon dip
downward.




















8/25/2014... It is then a bit clear what the bees are up to...
they were reducing the hive entrance to a crawl size, or so
I thought...
















8/25/2014... heavy traffic, but I thought this was normal
as I have observed it before there was a build-up of
propolis.  














While I was taking some videos the other day, I began to get worried.  There was heavy traffic.  I thought it was normal at first because there were lots of pollen carriers walking around the inside of the tube and I have observed it before the bees reduced the hive entrance.  But then, I saw 2-3 pollen carriers traced their step back out of the hive and flew out again.  That was not good I thought.  Back then, when there is a heavy traffic, pollen carriers always managed to get back inside the actual hive.  I can't remember if it is also on this same day or this morning that I noticed that there seem to be some activity going at the back of the hive. It looks like a new hive entrance.  That was already there when I first got the hive but they have closed it.













This morning there was light traffic in the tube.  A bit unusual.  There is usually heavy traffic in the morning. Then at noon, when I checked again, there was no traffic at all!  A few hours later, still no traffic.  Then, at the new entrance at the back, there seem to be quite a few bees flying around.  Then I thought, the bees might have completely sealed off the connecting tube!

8/27/2014... disconnecting the duplication hive...

Poking gently with a stick...

Something seems to be blocking the whole inside of the
tube... it can not be... my heart began to sink...









































My fear materialized when I pulled the tube off the coconut shell.  The bees sealed off the main hive blocking anything going through the duplication hive.  Their initial action to reduce the size of the duplication hive entrance was not enough they had to seal the main hive and possibly make a new entrance at the back of the hive.  I have read an account of bees sealing of the main hive from the duplication hive, but this happened when a new colony was already established in the duplication hive.















I removed the end part of the tube that has been sealed and re-attached the tube back to the coconut.  But the bees have already decided not to use the tube again.  I took a peek inside the tube and the bees were already more than halfway finished resealing.  By the time I finished this blog, I am sure the bees should be finished re-sealing the tube.  Unfortunately, there seems to be some conflict going around the new hive entrance at the back.  Some returning bees are being attacked by the guard bees, though I have yet to see some fatal attacks.  The bees get dazed, but no dead bees yet.  I took a video of what looks like an aerial "dog fight".  You will see bees pulling each other other straight down.  It happened several times.  I hope the bees are just playing and there will be no dead bees on the roof tomorrow morning.


















2 comments:

  1. Sir do you have a facebook account? I'm also into stingless beekeeping, maybe we can help each other out. Please add me "Apo Mariano Bee Farm".

    ReplyDelete