Sunday, December 24, 2017

From Fiber to Socks...

I finally finished my lace toe-up-socks project.  It took quite some time.  I am a slow knitter, but with this one, I also carded the raw cotton fiber and spun all the yarn using the drop spindle and charkha which I also constructed.  Though, I could really use some help with my bind-off.  Anyways, I did not have enough yarn when I started the project, so I carded, spun, and knitted as the project progresses.  Thus, you might notice the three tones.  The change in color tone indicates where I ran out of yarn.  I dyed the yarn before spinning. I used avocado skin to make the natural dye.  I really like the color.  I did not use any mordant to really bind the dye to the fiber.  But I think I read somewhere that I do not need to use a mordant since I am using a natural dye on a plant fiber.  I just boiled the skin from one avocado and when the water was quite dark, I soaked my yarn for about two hours and hung it to dry overnight.  



















My cotton spinning has become finer, particularly when I used the charkha.  Learning to spin at consistent thickness will probably take quite some time to master.   I initially built a spinning wheel with a treadle, but it was not working smoothly, and I really needed more yarn, so I decided to make a charkha, and work my technology from the ground up.  The charkha was really easy to construct and use.  I can actually make a long draw with only one hand, which I can not do with my spinning wheel.  Probably because I can not properly adjust the feed of the spool.  Since I will be working mostly with cotton fiber, I will stick with the charkha for a while.  The high speed charkha is ideal with spinning fine cotton thread or yarn.




















Merry Christmas Everyone!!!
Peace on Earth, Goodwill toward Men.





No comments:

Post a Comment