Monday, June 9, 2014

Teaching the Bees to Use the Tube...

After the initial experiment failed, I decided to re-do the experiment, but this time in stages.  I have re-attached the coconut shell with the orange tube over the original hive entrance.  I took some propolis from the original entrance and put it at the end of the tube..  Again, I did this very late afternoon when the bees have all returned to the hive.  The next day, I observed how the bees will react. The bees were still having difficulties finding the entrance/exit.  I think it is because of the coconut shell.  It would have been much easier for them if I just stuck the tube directly to the hive entrance.  It was already 8 am and none of the bees have exited through the tube.  I thought of sticking a twig through the hole and to the original hive entrance to act as a bridge so the bees will not have to walk on the coconut's inner surface. Soon, a bee took the bridge and was out immediately.  Soon other bees followed. 

































Some of the bees found gaps between the coconut the hive and I had to cover it up later that day.  It was not critical to cover the gap immediately as most of the bees were using the tube.  And I had to make sure that the bees that have exited through the gap will find their way back home.  The next day, all the gaps have been patched up with leaves and all the bees were making their way through the tube.  The twig was also removed.




Now that the bees have adapted to the new entrance and traffic looks normal, I think I can proceed to second stage, increasing the length of the tube.


No comments:

Post a Comment