Sunday, June 22, 2014

2nd Colony Forming?!?

I have reasons to believe that my stingless bees are forming a 2nd colony... but not through my experimentation.  When I got my hive, it was wrapped in 2 layers of plastic sack.  I was able to remove the outer layer, but the inner layer, I was not able to remove completely, particularly at the rear portion as it is already glued to the box hive. I suspected the bees made some chambers inside as there is a structure at the rear corner of the hive where some bees hang out all they without doing much of anything.  I decided to let it be.  I thought maybe the bees found another exit through a crack/gap in the box and decided to extend their outside of the box.














After a week or 2, I noticed some bees forming some pilars at the side of box.  I really thought they are expanding so I put a coconut shell over it and covered the large gaps with leaves.  After that nothing much happened.  The bees covered some small holes and gaps in the coconut, but it was very slow and took several days.  Some bees were going in and out of the structure they built with tiny holes.  Some would go on top of the coconut and under the leave and just stand there all day long.  None would fly I away from the hives.

But a few days after I observed the swarm which lasted about a week and after I aborted my 2nd attempt at natural hive duplication experiment.  I noticed some changes.  First, I thought I saw a bee with swollen abdomen landed near the structure they built outside of the hive box and then went inside through one of the holes.  So I observed the rear of the hive closely, and true enough, I saw a few more landed, clearly returning from foraging by the look of their swollen abdomen.  Why would these bees use another entrance and not the main one in front of the hive.  The traffic of bees returning through the rear of the hive is insignificant compared at the main entrance.  

About two days after I noticed the foragers coming back through the rear, I was surprised to see this:



















The picture above was taken around 6 am, before the bees become active and before I left for school.  The bees patched up most of the holes!  I also noticed some more patch up works around the perimeter of the coconut... (to be continued...) 

No comments:

Post a Comment